Design Principles Behind Smalltalk, Revisited

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 30 13:05:15 UTC 2006

>From: "Paul D. Fernhout" <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Design Principles Behind Smalltalk, Revisited
>Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:39:30 -0500
>
>Perhaps the biggest single issue is, how do we have a community around new
>things inspired by Squeak? I brought this issue up many years ago, but was
>basically shot down in flames of people pushing "Squeak the artifact" not
>"Squeak the community". Still, it seems like it is community which makes
>the value in the free and open source world. Yet the Squeak community seems
>closely tied to Smalltalk-80 and Squeak-as-it-is, in part as a
>self-selecting process -- yet ironically as Alan Kay himself keeps saying
>he wants something better.

Well if there is a crowd that wants to keep Squeak tied to the blue book,
then a fork has to happen.  I don't think it is the case though.  And change
for change's sake isn't good either.  Smalltalk-80 had a lot of great ideas,
so care needs to be taken when breaking from the blue-book to ensure we are
going forward not backward.  Making some change because "well Java works
that way" would be a very bad idea.  On the other hand, traits was a
departure, but I think (so far) a good one.