BTrees with Strings on 3.8/3.9 broken

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Fri Jun 9 13:21:26 UTC 2006

+1

From:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-April/090974.htm
l Martin says:

I just checked other Smalltalks

            Dolphin  VSE      VW      NewSqueak  OldSqueak
'A' < 'b'  true     true     true    true       true
'a' < 'B'  true     true     true    true       false
'a' <= 'A' true     true     false   false      false
'A' <= 'a' true     true     true    true       true
'Az'<'aa'  false    false    false   true       true
'A' = 'a'  false    false    false   false      false

VW does it best. VSE and Dolphin do it like I proposed, or whatsoever
that was.

(self compare: aString caseSensitive: false) for #< #<= #> #>=
(self compare: aString caseSensitive: true) for #=

Given that the current Squeak sorting is still funny ('Az' < 'aa')
and Dolphin and VSE seem not worried about logical implications like

  'A'<='a' and 'a'<='A' must that mean that 'A'='a' ??

perhaps an interesting alternative?

I like Dolphin and VSE and I'm not concerned with 'A'='a'. I would also
rather see this go away and be replaced by plain AsciiOrder as Andreas
suggested.

Ron Teitelbaum