Stand-alone Squeak application on MacOS X

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Jun 15 11:17:25 UTC 2006

Err, I wouldn't call that a "stand-alone Squeak application".

1) it would require that the Squeak Unix VM is already installed, and
registered in the search path
2) the image file has to be installed in your home directory, so you
couldn't put your "app" elsewhere
3) It starts Terminal.app and leaves behind a totally unnecessay
terminal window

1 and 2 could be dealt with by a more sophisticated shell script, but
that Terminal window is really a show stopper. Also, it wouldn't work
if someone deleted Terminal.app for security reasons.

Similar issues apply to an AppleScript, but at least you could get
around using Terminal.app. Croquet uses that approach.

- Bert -