Two Squeak-related bugs and three questions

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jun 15 15:23:20 UTC 2006

On 15-Jun-06, at 3:37 AM, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> Squeakers,
>
> at
> 	http://www.ba-stuttgart.de/~helbig/st80/bsearch.txt
> you'll find an article about two Squeak related bugs, one in Java,
> one in the
> GNU-C-optimizer.
>
> The last bug provokes three questions. One to Tim Rowledge, one to
> Jan Piumarta
> and one to Stefane Ducasse. But others may read it as well :-)

So my first question is why you couldn't simply ask the question in
email.

Second question is why you are spending effort on the 1.18 vm,
something so old and obsolete it practically smells of mold.

Third, the shift/xor trick for determining a valid smallInt value is
one I came up with in 1987 and it was put into the Squeak vm  in
probably 1.2 or thereabouts, when nobody was considering anything
other than 32 bit cpus and so the comment was perfectly reasonable.
In what way is the comment 'rather useless'? I think it explains the
point quite adequately and it's sure as hell better than the complete
lack of comments in 90% or more of the methods in the system..

Fourth, the code generator changes quite a lot of things in the
process of transliterating from the VM code to the C code so you
shouldn't be at all surprised when one formulation is used in the
image and another in the generated code. It would be nice if things
could be more directly connected but no-one has had time to tackle
what is actually a big problem. We tried at Interval and concluded it
required a lot of work to do well.

Fifth - you're surely not surprised to find bugs in gcc?

tim
Strange OpCodes: SDJ: Send all Data to Japan