about translations

Alberto Berti alberto at metapensiero.it
Wed Mar 22 16:41:21 UTC 2006

Takashi Yamamiya wrote:
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> These are another change sets. (I should upload these fixes on some website
> as stéphane said...)
>
> - 01LanguageBackport.2.cs.gz
>  almost same as Alberto's patch, I added a preamble and merged
> 0473LocaleRefactoring-tak.cs
>
> - 02LanguageBackport.2.cs.gz
>  almost same as Alberto's patch, I added a preamble.
>
> - 03fastLanguageEditor-tak.2.cs.gz
>  fix NaturalLanguageTranslator >> translated:
> - 04GetTextUTF8.1.cs.gz
>  export gettext file in UTF-8
>

> Maybe, your problem will be solved with these change sets. I guess the
> problem was untranslated phrases are registered in a dictionary
> whenever untranslated phrases are found in String>>translated.

well, well done  Takashi! thanks!
I'll wait for you to implement also an UTF-8 import:)
I'm going to publish the italian translation along with a howto about how
to load it into the image and maybe contribute back.
I think to publish also these changesets, i we don't find a better place
for them.

Another issue i'm facing right now is phrases duplication. Inside the
exported .po i find many duplicated phrases which differ only for the
number of escapes ( \ characters) that they contain. Here is an example:

msgid "\"EToy\" is a vocabulary that provides the equivalent of the
1997-2000 etoy prototype"

and then

msgid "\\\"EToy\\\" is a vocabulary that provides the equivalent of the
1997-2000 etoy prototype"

msgid "\\\\\\\"EToy\\\\\\\" is a vocabulary that provides the equivalent of
the 1997-2000 etoy prototype"

Such duplication confuses the translator and pollutes the file.

I suspect that the guilty piece of the framework may be the GetTextImporter
class or some other code involved during po's reparsing. Probably the
escapes aren't evaluated correctly and instead they are read as is. Do you
have any clue? Anyone has a similar experience?

Alberto