The original Squeak release is available under APSL2.

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu May 25 19:32:01 UTC 2006

On 25-May-06, at 11:51 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

>> As Andreas demonstrated,  it is not obvious that you can relicense
>> code
>> you've written just because you wish to.
>
> I did? I thought I did the precise opposite, namely demonstrating
> that there are many bits and pieces that I *can* relicense nilly-
> willy because I own them and have proof of that ownership ;-)

But the fact that you own 'many bits' carries the clear implication
that you don't own other bits, which is likely the situation for many
of us.

I'm pretty sure that I can claim legitimate control over all the code
I've provided. A lot of VM and VMMaker code was written explicitly to
release to the Squeak community and I assert that means giving it
freely. There is also the point that Interval and exobox no longer
exist to drop lawyers on us as well as the management in both cases
being desirous of helping the community. Other code was written for
VPRI with the explicit intention of giving it to the community and
then recent stuff done for Sophie is likewise explicitly intended to
be open. All the rest was done in my own time anyway and I consider
that gifted to Squeak.

tim
Useful random insult:- Got into the gene pool while the lifeguard
wasn't watching.