Image versions- what do you use? What should I use?

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Wed Nov 15 00:24:38 UTC 2006

Something I've been thinking a lot about recently is the issue of
what image version to use.  In the past, for my personal development
and use, I basically kept up to date with whatever the newest
development version was.  Naturally, for my PDA work I've kept more
to a standard, and the standard was usually an older image- the first
Dynapad release was based around 3.0, and the second release was
based on 2.8.

So, I dropped out of the community for a few years, on account of my
work, school and personal life. I'm getting back into it full-speed.
And again, I have to make a decision on what version to use for my
PDA work.

So far, I've been using 3.2.   As I articulated in the big Squeak on
the Nokia 770 post I made a while back, 3.2 seems to be the newest
image that works at a decent speed on my 770. Squeak 3.4 might be
passable as well, but I had ended up with 3.2 because I had done some
other PDA work in 3.2, so I just went back to that image. But
obviously, there are some issues with using an older version of
Squeak. Currently, SqueakMap isn't there- though that might be fixed
soon.

I guess I'm wondering what other older versions of Squeak people on
the list use. What pitfalls or advantages they've found, the reasons
they're doing it, etc. I'd be open to using a newer version of
Squeak, but the newer the image the slower Morphic is. On a 1 GHz
desktop Mac or PC, the difference isn't a big deal- but on a 250 MHz
PDA, whose CPU has no FPU it is.

I need Morphic. I need Genie. I'd like SqueakMap. But most
importantly I need Morphic to be fast enough on a slowish ARM CPU.

What am I missing out on if I'm using 3.2 or 3.4 and not 3.8 or 3.9?
I don't need eToys at all, let alone the newest version.

I've talked this over with the #squeak channel some, and they've
given me a lot of good ideas, but I'm wondering what the rest of the
list thinks. I put forward the idea to them that I would pick some
sort of standard 'OldSqueak' that I and maybe a couple other people
might support.  This email largely has no point- I'm just trying to
drum up a little discussion.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Regards,
Aaron