Respect (was Re: Roadmap proposal for 3.10/4.0)

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at laposte.net
Wed Oct 18 18:21:16 UTC 2006

Hello Juan,

Juan Vuletich a écrit :
> Come on, folks,
>
> This mail is not only about Damien, but many others too.
>
> This is a request to anybody who considers himself a beginner or
> newcomer, and sends lots of mail to the list.
>
> In this community we have lots of wise and knowledgeable people. Many
> have PhDs or are active researchers. Many have been involved in the
> development of Smalltalk systems for very long time. Many spent many
> years using Smalltalk, reading and writing about it, and helping it evolve.
>
> This list is very friendly, and there is no censorship. So, please, have
> some respect for others and before sending a request, ask yourself:
> - Do I have a clear idea of what we are talking about?
> - Do I understand how Squeak is dealing with that and why?
> - Do I know if most people here think differently and why?
> - Have I thought a bit about what I'm going to say?
> - Do I know how to do what I'm asking for?
> - Can I do it, as a collaboration to the project?
> - Can I, at least, offer some help?
>
> If the answer to some of this questions is NO, please consider reading
> silently and learn.
> Or at least ask politely, instead of barking.
>
> Please keep in mind:
> The probability of we all being plain wrong for many years, waiting
> specifically for you to finally enlighten us, is pretty small.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
> ... a response that was too polite in my opinion
>> Damien Cassou schrieb:
>>
> ... some naive ideas about complex numbers

I don't really understand why you are reacting like this. I never
criticize other work, only give my opinion. In my mail, I was just
trying to remember my math lessons and share them. Hans-Martin answered
me and I perfectly understood his position and agreed.

In your opinion, people should only write a mail if they are 100% sure
about what they want to write. I disagree. I think people learn better
when they made mistakes and those mistakes get corrected by more
experienced people.

Hans-Martin taught me something and it would not have been the case if I
had stayed away from my keyboard.

Hope you will allow me to continue writing mails here.

--
Damien Cassou