call for release team volunteers

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Wed Oct 18 22:46:31 UTC 2006

Hi all--

     The board decided that the release team shall consist of three
people appointed by the board; whether or not there is a "team leader"
is up to them. The team will do what we call "forgiving integration".
"Integration" means simply composing systems from completed
contributions, and explicitly avoiding development. The members of the
team are certainly welcome to be a part of development efforts as well
(as is every member of the community), but that is outside the scope of
the release team's mission.

     The team will be "forgiving" in that they will not reject
conflicting contributions out of hand. Rather, they will first attempt
to get the relevant parties to resolve the conflicts in a timely
fashion. We did not discuss whether there should be a rigid timeline for
each release, nor what the specific contents of any future release
should be. We can do these things in future board meetings if people
think they shouldn't be left up to each release team. Likewise, the
release team will operate under close oversight from the board, and the
board will make further policy as necessary.

     We're looking for people who have available time, the diligence to
complete a release, and a good degree of mutual trust with the
community. If you'd like to volunteer, please do so here! If you have
someone else in mind, please contact them privately and encourage them
to volunteer.

     thanks!

-C

--