2006-09-20 SqF board notes

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Thu Sep 21 04:16:01 UTC 2006

Hi all--

     I have obtained permission from the rest of the Squeak Foundation
board to speak for the board. I'll start with info about the current
board vacancy and action items from the most recent meeting (we meet for
an hour via instant-messaging on first and third Wednesdays). In
general, if you have any questions related to the board, please feel
free to ask; I'll try to answer.

     One board member (Stephane Ducasse) has resigned. (The other
members are Marcus Denker, Cees de Groot, Bert Freudenberg, Craig Latta,
Yoshiki Ohshima, and Tim Rowledge.) For the moment, we have decided not
to fill the vacancy, because of the overhead of holding elections. Our
sense is that it's better to just wait for the next regular election to
have a full board, unless a majority of the board should happen to
resign (in which case it probably makes sense to move the elections up).
The elections are currently annual, and the next one is scheduled for
February 2007. Thanks to Daniel Vainsencher of the elections team and
other members of the community for their opinions.

     As you may remember, Apple has relicensed the original Squeak
release under APSL2 (see [1]). We'd like to enable releases composed of
material from that original release in combination with subsequent
community contributions. We sought the advice of Dan Ravicher, a lawyer
with the Software Freedom Law Center[2]. He suggests that we begin by
compiling a definitive mapping of all the contributor initials in the
system to their authors, so we can contact each author for explicit terms.

     Bert has agreed to create this list for the Squeakland system. We'd
like a volunteer to do the same for the 3.9 release. I volunteered to
write the terms request letter (which we will submit to Ravicher and the
community at large for approval). We'd eventually like to get the
entirety of Squeak available under an MIT-style license, since that
seems to be the best combination of simplicity and familiarity.

     thanks,

-C

[1] http://tinyurl.com/lh5jp (lists.squeakfoundation.org)
[2] http://www.softwarefreedom.org