[Packages] Split-Join in development universe etc

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Aug 10 06:16:53 UTC 2007

Jason Johnson wrote:
> Well, I must admit I was frustrated that I can't see the changes from
> Monticello, I have to actually load it, and then open a change set
> viewer to figure out what happened.

Try this:
* Save the MCZ to a directory
* Add that directory as repository to MCZ
* Open it, navigate to the MCZ
* Choose "Changes" from the repo browser
This will show the diff of the MCZ in question to whatever is in your image.

> But the first method I looked at did in fact have a comment. :)

Where? I just double-checked and can't find any comments in
join-kph.2.mcz (the version I'm looking at).

> I'm also a bit confused about the format.  If you don't like the
> formatting can't you have it on "pretty print" and always get the same
> formatting always?

I *never* do that. It's a lossy transformation of source code.
Formatting reveals intent often just as strongly as a comments.

>> If it means a bloated collection
>> interface to accommodate every single person's pet extensions then I
>> think that stinks.
>
> I agree with you.  I'm a bit of a minimalist myself.

I'm not (at least I don't think of myself as being one). To me, the most
important questions are: How useful is this extension in general? How
applicable to other domains? How quickly come examples for it to mind?
How much would this extension simplify the resulting code? And I can't
say that for split/join I find that the benefits outweigh the added
complexity. Others may disagree of course.

Cheers,
   - Andreas