[Packages] Split-Join in development universe etc

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:54:57 UTC 2007

On 8/10/07, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Try this:
> * Save the MCZ to a directory
> * Add that directory as repository to MCZ
> * Open it, navigate to the MCZ
> * Choose "Changes" from the repo browser
> This will show the diff of the MCZ in question to whatever is in your image.

Odd, I did that and I get the same thing as when I use the Squeak
source repo directly:  All I see is a preamble for the installer to
load from a bug report.

> Where? I just double-checked and can't find any comments in
> join-kph.2.mcz (the version I'm looking at).

Hrm, well I loaded join-kph.2.mcz (due to the problem mentioned
earlier) and I see several:

SequencableCollection>>joinUsing:
SequencableCollection>>joinUsing:last:
SequencableCollection>>splitOn:

So 3 out of the first 4 in the change set.  But I was just pointing
this out earlier as a joke.

> I *never* do that. It's a lossy transformation of source code.
> Formatting reveals intent often just as strongly as a comments.

Ah.  Well I never do it either, but saw on a webcast someone using
that, so I thought maybe it would be an ok solution if you really
don't like the way someone formats code.

I personally find that one's formatting is largely affected by the
languages they used previously and the formatting conventions from
there.  I didn't like the Smalltalk formatting at first, but I am
moving more that direction.  But as you say, I also use formatting to
highlight things and I see others do it as well.

> I'm not (at least I don't think of myself as being one). To me, the most
> important questions are: How useful is this extension in general? How
> applicable to other domains? How quickly come examples for it to mind?
> How much would this extension simplify the resulting code?

That's kind of what I meant by "a minimalist". :)  I agree 100%.

> And I can't
> say that for split/join I find that the benefits outweigh the added
> complexity. Others may disagree of course.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

And here lies the root of the question.  I thought it might be a good
trade off, but perhaps it would be better a special "string enhancing"
package or something, as that stuff would most be used in a text
manipulating or script domain I think.