OT: Dolphin smalltalk giving up

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sat Aug 11 22:48:57 UTC 2007

Jan,

What I wouldn't give for a time machine to buy VW 3.1 :)  Actually,
probably not, as it is likely getting left in the dust, or is it?

STX is a possibility.  I am typing on an Ubuntu system that is
resurrected from spare parts, well all but the hard disk (500 GB).  The
machine was suspect, having had a bad memory stick, and then took a few
times to get right.  I think by random chance, the first drive I put in
it failed (actually, it was probably bad before I got it).  Ubuntu ran
for a while, then started complaining.  I put a spare 20GB drive in it,
and it ran well, but I wanted more space.  Then I had fun with old
bios/big drive hassles.  Creating a /boot partition did the trick.

I mention this because somewhere in there, I tried ST/X, and I cannot
say it was bullet proof.  You are not the first to suggest it, and it
deserves another shot.  It might have been zapped by a flaky disk.

Finally, there is no secret that some of us are hoping to raise money to
buy and open source Dolphin.  No word yet on whether OA will go for it,
or at what price.

Bill

=================
Jan Hussaarts wrote:

Hi Bill,

For a living I program in C# (VS2005) and VisualWorks Smalltalk. The
latter in v3.1 because of the pricing of new releases.
For fun I use Squeak and Smalltalk/X (from www.exept.de). Both are free
to use in commercial projects. Smalltalk/X (STX) is also still kept upto
date by Exept.
I am thinking of switching from VW Smalltalk to STX; perhaps that is an
alternative for you too.
STX runs on Windows and Linux, it has a good IDE, supports proper
OS-look and feel window-style and can be used for the development of Web
applications.

Kind regards,

Jan Hussaarts

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.