Ideas of gift :)

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Thu Dec 6 23:11:25 UTC 2007

 > > > The relicensing will just help to get more attention on
 > > > Squeak/Smalltalk from the free software community. But may be some
 > > > people does not want that or so ?
 > >
 > > Hey, come on... You already asked about the licensing once while
 > > I was asleep. At list give me a chance to wake up and respond to it
 > > before making comments like that. :)
 >
 > So you were sleeping for ten days :) (Today I just repoke from a mail
 > without feedback ten days ago!)

      I didn't see that one, I'm sorry. I was referring to the first of
your barrage of messages from last night, pacific time. Can you lose the
  sarcasm, please?

 > Really, as you wrote in another email, it will be helpful to have up
 > to date data regarding the situation with the signed agreement since
 > last July.

      About five more people have signed the agreement since then. I
have heard from a few others who say they plan to sign, but for whom I
have no confirmation of their having signed from Viewpoints.

      As I've said before, I think we're already past the point of
critical mass for agreements. The focus now should be on making a
release with no unlicensed code in it. You seem to think that the
timestamps on the contributor lists tells the whole story of activity
behind this effort. It doesn't. The more important part is joining the
Conservancy, and that's mostly about waiting for lawyers to call.

 > Who? Where? How? is it handled?

      VPRI drafted the contributor agreement and is collecting the
signatures. I believe this was clear from reading
http://netjam.org/squeak/contributors/.

 > So is Christmas a viable target?

      No, I don't think we'll have prepared a release with all
unlicensed code removed by then. Most of the community is even busier
than usual around now, precisely because it's close to Christmas. We
also have more legal questions for the Conservancy to answer, and as I
said before, we can't dictate to them how they spend their time.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist