License rewrite Process (was license rewrite)

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Thu Dec 6 23:35:30 UTC 2007

Hi,

This is a very good question.  I think the answer from Craig's comments,
(please correct me if I'm wrong here IANAL) is that the contribution has to
represent a significant change to be copyrightable.  Formatting, comments,
adding or removing temps would not count as original material.  So the
author is the person that contributed a significant portion of original
material to the current version.

Why would this be a good test?  I think because without the improvement
represented by a significant change, the method would have no or limited
utility.  Now if the method represents something that is obvious, and it
could be reproduced without reference to the original code, (reengineered)
that would be considered an original contribution and not a derivation.

If we could adopt a previous version from someone that signed the agreement,
(and that person represents an original contribution, or a significant
change from the original method) and we reapplied a bug fix or a feature
addition to bring the method up to current levels, that may be easier then
starting the method from scratch.

We need some advice on how to move forward.

Ron