Making Squeak more accessible and used - reversing the trend

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 4 10:05:45 UTC 2007

>From: Brad Fuller <brad at bradfuller.com>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Making Squeak more accessible and used - reversing the trend
>Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:09:16 -0800
>
>Why would one want to continue to perpetuate the development of vertical
>applications - of which it is difficult to communicate between (except w/o
>even more vertical methods of communicating)?

Because we want to lower the cost of entry into smalltalk without losing any
of the power.  Of course, if we deploy 3 or 4 different native apps they
wouldn't be able to talk to each other via normal message sends, but on the
other hand it will be trivial for them to talk over the network which lets
them take advantage of the dual cores.

At this point, it isn't clear whether the implicit threading of Concurrent
Haskell, Transactional memory, or the 0 sharing/message passing of Erlang is
going to win out as the strategy for multi-threading.  If it happens to be
the Erlang solution, then Squeak isn't so far behind actually but we will
need to expand on this "vertical methods of communicating".

>I  see only one advantage of developing OS-native apps in Squeak and that's
>Smalltalk's prototyping ability. A capability that you can also get with
>other languages. Unfortunately, the user misses the true power of the
>Smalltalk environment.

Yes, they miss the complete true power of Smalltalk.  But right now they are
missing *all* of the power.  It seems to me that people don't come look at
your world until you beat them in their own.