Making Squeak more accessible and used - reversing the trend

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sun Feb 4 15:54:38 UTC 2007

JJ,

We have a small process-synchronization problem: we're writing emails at
the same time :)  Your recent message would likely alter my recent
message.  Please consider that as you read, if only retroactively.

My experience is that users will gladly tolerate some unfamiliar
appearance (aka deviation from platform standards) as long as software
does what they want, quickly, intuitively, and robustly.  One more pass
on the broken record: they care about feel far more than they care about
look.

We seem to want many of the same things for and from Squeak.  I would
simply urge you to prioritize some of the other items I have mentioned
(ANSI/underscore, end of stream errors, morphic feel) over native look
and packaging.  Between native look and packaging, look is probably the
more important topic for the community.  The packaging side is something
that a single developer can do, and your recent message referencing RPM
etc. shows that you already have ideas on how to do it.  The result
would easily be distributed as one or more items on SM.

Happy Smalltalking!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida