Squeak and native threads

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 6 10:07:17 UTC 2007

Hello all,

Is anyone doing anything (or know of someone who is) with native threading
in squeak?  As computers begin to rely more and more on a multi-core
strategy for speed up it is going to become more and more important to
support native threading.

The squeak we have now could do some things, like having all IO primitives
be internally async IO (putting the calling squeak thread to sleep until it
gets the IO back, etc.) so that people writing such code don't need to worry
about such complexity (assuming it doesn't already do this).

But that is only going to get us so far.  At some point smalltalk will have
to go true multi-threaded.  Even Java has native threads now, but they chose
the route to maximum impact to the thread user, i.e. fine grained locking.

I have read an article recently on transactional memory [1] and it seemed to
me like this might be a great opportunity for smalltalk.  If a VM was
created for squeak that did native threads with transactional memory then I
think it might be possible that most (if not all) the code we have in the
image right now could work about the same (and my belief comes from the fact
that if we introduce real threading then any state changing operation is
going to have to be "atomic", so we wouldn't use the keyword as much as they
do).

Of course I don't personally have time to even do the little projects I
have, much less something like this.  But I was wondering if anyone had
heard about a project thinking along these lines, or maybe there is some
college studying looking for something to base a thesis on. :)

Thanks,
Jason

1. http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1896