Could we fix the web site

Cees de Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 11:36:27 UTC 2007

On 1/6/07, Joshua Gargus <schwa at fastmail.us> wrote:
> Stephane makes a good point.  If we want http://squeak.org to be the
> public face of Squeak to the outside world, then the news feeds
> should absolutely not appear at the very top.  Instead, the Welcome!
> section should come first to give a basic understanding of the entire
> site. That much is clear (right?  if not, why?)

It depends. Define your audience first. Then the rest follows suit.

1. Make squeak.org mostly interesting to newcomers: put the blurb on top.
2. Make squeak.org a portal interesting to regulars: put the news on top.

An oversimplification, but just making the point that you should
define your audience groups and their relative importance before
discussing what to put above the fold.

Having said that, it's probably not a very good idea to start with a
news section that links off-site :). But I agree that a static
frontpage makes for a dead website these days so if this is all we're
going to get with the current volunteer team, fine with me.

Kudos to the web and news teams for an awesome amount of progress in
2006 (and hoping for them to put even more work into it in 2007 :-P).

And Stef - sorry, but your style of communication is again not very
helpful. Frankly, if you start like that, I could not care less what
you put or put not on your resumes, link-wise.