Whats Happening with 3.10. And how is it going to proceed?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 04:16:51 UTC 2007

This is mostly to the board and the 3.10 team.

A new year naturally brings questions about
resolutions and time lines.

Is 3.10 going to be time boxed?
If so what are the timelines and deliveralbles?

So far the 3.10 folder on the ftp site is empty.
Can the 3.10alpha image be placed there?
That would be one easy deliveralbe.

My wishes for the new year are that:

-whatever process is evolved to assembling 3.9 that an
update stream would be established as a last word.
This would allow fixes to be added ontop of assembled
modules and allow them to be tried by many quickly so
that their strengths and weaknesses can be found and
provide feedback. And so the knowledge they entail can
help all who are developing squeak learn as Tim
mentions "early and often".

This is basicly the McCready prize winning model of
development. You can build a prize winning plane out
of balsawood and piano wire. You just have to crash it
quickly and often enoung on the way to the finish
line.

---------

-my other wish is there would be a "full" image team.
These fine folks would be responsible for deciding
what packages would be released as "3.10" full.  One
of the tests for the release is that these packages
could be loaded and work as the 3.10 basic image goes
along.

I suspect the "full" team will have to be different
people from the "3.10 release" team. The
responsibilities will be different. And the roles will
be different as well. With the "full" team being
"customers" for the release.

No one expects things to go as initially planned. The
dynamic between teams would encourage the right kind
of communication about the projects.

---------

-My final wish is to, as soon as possible, get back to
a state where version histories are present enough so
those of us who bug track have a way of finding out
when and how things changed. Who changed them. And a
good chance of guessing why and with what intent. I am
indeed having difficulty with that with 3.9-7067.

I have put a lot of ideas into just one email because
they are related. Feel free to respond to them
separately if it pleases you.

Please help us follow things by modifying the subject
field as the focus of the replies change.

Thank you.

Yours in curiosity and service, -- Jerome Peace