[Help] the meaning of #hex is now quite muddled.

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 04:03:11 UTC 2007

[Help] the meaning of #hex is now quite muddled.

See
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6441
0006441: [BUG] SmallInteger hex not understood

In 3.8 Integer>>hex was deprecated but not the other
occurances of the message.

In 3.9 Integer>>hex was removed. But still retained
callers. So DNU errors occured (see report).  johnpf
who reported the bug has cared enough to implement
several fixes one of which has gotten into 3.10. He
has replied to my requests to write tests for the
issue.

The problem is the answer his fix gives is not
equivalent to the answer given by the routine in 3.8
(again see the report)

This has lead to several questions that need answers (
see report ) but he is too new to know the answers and
so am I.

There needs to be a consistent meaning for the
message. And we need more knowledgable souls to guide
us to it.

Yours in curiosity and service, -Jerome Peace