how to become modular

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 7 02:00:33 UTC 2007

Dear Avi and all,
> For Monticello 2, on the other hand, we've released plenty of
> information, tried to open discussion many times, asked for volunteers
I am not sure what you mean by plenty of information though. There is
source code. Long ago I concluded that the "Avi" definition of "plenty
of information" differs greatly from mine. How about some white papers?
> at several points, but never released something that people could
> actually use for their daily work.  Result: apart from Damien who
> recently got some funding to work on it, we've had no response
> whatsoever.
This is not strictly true.

In the spirit of incremental, and hence hopefully adoptable progress.
There is a version of Monticello1 which has SystemEditor from MC2 in it,
ready to use. It only took one day to put this in, I did it about 6
weeks ago, and it is ready to roll when SystemEditor works.
> This despite the fact that MC2 is a much better and more ambitious
> design than any of the prior versions of MC.
So we are ready to go when SystemEditor from MC2 is ready.
Unfortunately I dont know enough about the compilation/class composition
of squeak to fix it. I will also say that SystemEditor is a really
impressive bit of code, and I dont feel in any way qualified to
contribute to it.

best regards

Keith