A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 18:09:39 UTC 2007

Hi Sebastian,

> From: ssastre at seaswork.com> To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:13:55 -0300> Subject: RE: A couple of simple ergonomic adjustments> > > > > they have the problem of not beign sharp (resulting in > > poor/blurry render).> > > > Have you tried them on an image with the FreeType package installed?> > They look much better.> > > > Giovanni> > > In fact I having trouble installing it. I've install it, see all tests> green, but it visually makes no difference. Image 3.9.7067, VM 3.10.2> (alpha) from Jun 5 2007> > I cant remember where I've downloaded that VM to try to see if vm> ffi are from the same source.> > I don't know why don't work or if in the installation process should> do something manually. (I'v tried both, squeakmap and universes).> > Any clue?
This is on Windows? Which version? (XP, Vista, 98 etc).

Could you please install from SqueakMap (or universes).
You should find that you have an ft2plugin.dll and a BitBltPlugin.dll in the same folder as the squeak.exe.

Then evaluate the following in a Workspace, print the result, and tell me what it says? You can either reply to the list, or email me privately.
---

| s |s := WriteStream on: ''.s cr; nextPutAll: 'FT2 Version: ', FT2Version current asString; cr.s nextPutAll: 'Dirs: ', FreeTypeFontProvider current platformAbsoluteDirectories asString;cr.s nextPutAll: 'Files: ', (FreeTypeFontProvider current instVarNamed: 'fileInfos') asString; cr.s contents

---
You should see something similar to this....

FT2 Version: 2.2.1Dirs: an OrderedCollection(DosFileDirectory on ''c:\windows\fonts'')Files: an IdentitySet(c:\windows\fonts\BRADHITC.TTF[0] Bradley Hand ITC - Regular -     c:\windows\fonts\JUICE___.TTF[0] Juice ITC - Regular -     c:\windows\fonts\davidbd.ttf[0] David - Bold -  B   c:\windows\fonts\rod.ttf[0] Rod - Regular -    Monospaced c:\windows\fonts\kaiu.ttf[0] DFKai-SB - Regular -    Monospaced c:\windows\fonts\sylfaen.ttf[0] Sylfaen - Regular -     c:\windows\fonts\ariali.ttf[0] Arial - Italic -   I

etc.

And, if you do see something similar to the above, then you should be able to set the system fonts using the World>>Appearance...>> System fonts... menu.

Cheers,
Andy