KernelImage plans, namespaces, security, ???

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 22:33:51 UTC 2007

Hi all, especially Pavel.

What are your long-term plans for KernelImage?

I'm working on a more secure version of squeak, and KernelImage looks like a
good starting point.

Pavel: would you want the following features in KernelImage, most of which
would break backwards compatibility:

- Hierarchical Namespaces,

- Preventing multiple applications in an image from being able to affect
each other (in terms of excessive memory usage etc),

- Capability-based security, meaning that core Squeak classes cannot be
modified, devices must be granted access to, etc, enabling you to load
foreign, untrusted code and execute it securely.

If so, then I'd like to work with you on this. If not, I'll have to fork
KernelImage for my own project.

I assume you've released KernelImage under the MIT license?

Cheers,
Michael.