Towards 3.9.1 . Away from What?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun May 6 19:13:50 UTC 2007

Towards 3.9.1 . Away from What?

I watch all of Keith's efforts with wonder and some
trepidation.

He has very bold plans and when kept after (by others)
may do an reasonable job of coding.

He is also off acting on his own on what he thinks is
needed.

I see what he is doing as undermining the efforts of
the 3.10 team.  And I wonder why this is.

Is the November revolution happening in May?

What he is proposing is creating a branch of Squeak
under his release control and to his taste.

This is something anyone has a the ability to do in a
open software enviornment.

He is appropriating the version number 3.9.1.  Which
portrays an intention for his release to be a
successor to 3.9 but close to it.

Now I question whether an independent developer of
relatively short standing in the squeak community
should have the right to give an official sounding
designation to his release.

Shouldn't the version numbers of squeak belong to the
squeak foundation and squeak board?
In other words it comes close to trademark
infringement.

Keith has the power to do what he will.  But calling
it 3.9.1 implies a blessing for his actions that he
has not formally asked for nor formally received. Some
controls should be put on what he calls it less his
efforts be taken (by those outside) as authorized and
encourgaged by the offical board.

Or he should be given that authorization by the board
to go ahead.  Right now the situation is like having a
loose canon aboard a ship.  And people should look at
it in that manner.

Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace (Bug
Tracker)