Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 18:39:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 11:31:27AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2007, at 23:47 , Gary Chambers wrote:
>
> >I use both Linux and Windows with the same image. Have had to hack
> >the point at which the preference is applied to save hassle.
>
> Set the 3-button mouse preference for the Windows VM to make it
> conform to the right mouse button order. The wrong order was made
> default in the days when Windows mice lacked one button and only had
> two. Nowadays they have three or more, so this pref should be made
> the default.
>
> >Perhaps the Linux VM could be brought into line?
>
> To make the Linux VM use the wrong ordering too, just add "-vm-
> display-X11 -swapbtn" to your command line. Or set SQUEAK_SWAPBTN in
> your environment.
>
> And just for completeness, to make the Mac VM use the wrong order
> edit the VM's info.plist file.

Does that mean there is a well-defined "right" and "wrong"
order? I assumed the correct behavior was:
left-click for select
right-click for context menu
middle-click for the halos

This is the MVC behavior (iirc, MVC treated right-click and
middle-click the same), and the behavior of every other
program I have used. Halo's are a concept unique to squeak, and
so should use the under-used middle button

I always swapped mouse buttons in linux even before I found out
that this was the default order in windows (used squeak in linux
first)