Right click on linux (or ctrl-leftclick in windows?)

Bill Breitmayer bb at billbreitmayer.com
Fri Sep 14 13:13:20 UTC 2007

Bert Freudenberg-2 wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2007, at 23:47 , Gary Chambers wrote:
>
>> I use both Linux and Windows with the same image. Have had to hack
>> the point at which the preference is applied to save hassle.
>
> Set the 3-button mouse preference for the Windows VM to make it
> conform to the right mouse button order. The wrong order was made
> default in the days when Windows mice lacked one button and only had
> two. Nowadays they have three or more, so this pref should be made
> the default.
>
>> Perhaps the Linux VM could be brought into line?
>
> To make the Linux VM use the wrong ordering too, just add "-vm-
> display-X11 -swapbtn" to your command line. Or set SQUEAK_SWAPBTN in
> your environment.
>
> And just for completeness, to make the Mac VM use the wrong order
> edit the VM's info.plist file.
>
> - Bert -

Many thanks, Bert.  I use both Windows and various flavors of Linux
extensively and enjoy switching between the two with a minimum of effort.  I
have gotten used to the different mouse clicks, but this has been an
interesting subject for me.  For instance, I've fiddled with the code a bit
to place the close window button on the upper right rather than the upper
left, but it isn't not satisfactory, too kludgy..

I think that the rigth/wrong way to present the UI to the user depends upon
the the environment the user expects to see.  There are numerous communities
using Squeak so there are bound to be a "clash of visual cultures'.  One of
the most fundemental clashes is the left-right/right-left languages, not to
mention top-down languages, etc.  Not right or wrong, it's just what users
are accustomed to.   For something as fundemental as customizing mouse
behavior across different OSs, the VM is probably the best place to do it.

In the long run, I think it would be highly desirable to make Squeak look
any way the user wants ( far easier said than done I know ).  The new
Smalltak styles feature is a big step in that direction and I would guess
that there will be enough interest to fuel several other projects of to make
the Squeak UI more flexible in the next few years.

Thanks again.

- Bill .