Quick comparison of two Namespaces proposals

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 21:24:43 UTC 2007

On 9/19/07, Damien Pollet <damien.pollet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Period has a potential conflict with expression separator, and
> double-colon could be kept for variadic messages or argument-related
> stuff (currently, when there is a colon, an argument is not far, so it
> would be nice to keep this association).
>
> What about underscore, since it's not used elsewhere in the syntax ;-)
> Kernel_Array looks like an identifier, Kernel _ Array can be a binary
> message...

Period works okay if Period followed by whitespace is an expression
separator, and period followed by a printable character can be part of a
name.

What's a variadic message?

I'm not sure what the status of underscores are. Currently I think they're
still a hack for the back-arrow in the squeak image, and from what I hear
they are not accepted in Croquet? It is possible to free them up and make
people use either a Unicode back-arrow :-) or :=.

Michael.