[squeak-dev] Re: FFI woes

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 03:55:52 UTC 2008

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Keith Hodges wrote:
>> The problem that MC1.5 has with FFI is not what I thought it was.
>>
>> The problem is due to the fact that MC1.5 compiles each class
>> definition twice before it sends #initialize. FFI unfortunately
>> overrides #doneCompiling and expects everything to be initialized
>> already, which it isn't.
>
> Why would it compile everything twice?
>
>> I beleive Sig has uploaded a fix for ffi to mantis.
>
> A workaround rather, not a fix.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Because MC1.5'a non atomic loading scheme, begins by taking the old
class definition, and the new class definition, and compiling the union
of the two definitions, in the hope that this will help the majority of
methods to compile successfully. Once all of the methods have compiled,
the final new class definition is compiled.

Keith