[squeak-dev] Re: Producing alpha images

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 06:33:37 UTC 2008

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Keith Hodges wrote:
>>> *Please* do realize the value of alpha images as a form of
>>> communication in this community. If you post a fix for the .gz loading
>>> I will happily produce an alpha image for people to play with.
>> I do realize the value of alpha images thats what Bob the builder is
>> for, building images automatically and constantly building and testing
>> them. The plan is to have many more alphas than we have ever had before.
>>
>> e.g. We can have an alpha minimal image, and an alpha full image in
>> which every possible package can be loaded and tested.
>>
>> What I don't want to do is to be continually producing these alphas,
>> when if I finish Bob, he could do it for me.
>
> This is one of the things that is wrong with this community:
> Everything always needs to be done by new tools that nobody has
> written yet ;-)
I think the opposite, people are so busy doing stuff, that they never
take the time to reflect and invest time in the tools that would make it
easier.

> In case you didn't notice - *I* offered to play the role of Bob the
> builder for a while without you
thanks for the offer,
> having to do anything. This kind of work can easily be spread out
> without having to have dependencies on unwritten tools. I'm sure there
> are other people who would help out once we get the process going.
I still have a couple of steps to go before I am really ready to publish
anything. For example I added waypoints today, so that if a build fails
you can rerun it. Steps that reached their waypoint
do not run again.

When I release 3.11bc this week sometime, I will have completed all the
steps needed to make an end to end release to release. I just have a few
fixes to workspace and then I am done.

Keith