[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak-dev .images #initializeMemorySettings [was: 100 Million objects]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Feb 29 09:36:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:31:39 +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> I suggest to activate the #initializeMemorySettings which Andreas
>> posted in the squeak-dev and -web .images. TIA.
>
> I wouldn't. These settings were chosen to balance the tradeoffs between
> interactive rates (real-time voice and sound processing) as well as
> large memory allocations (big chunks of memory for textures etc). For a
> web-image (which has no real-time constraints) I would almost certainly
> choose different values. And for an image that usually stays below 100MB
> in size, I would choose even different values.

Okay. Then more than one profile can to be offered, your Croquet profile
the first to start with :)

> For example, for the web image try:
> - allocation between GCs: 100,000
> - tenuring threshold: 25,000 (maybe even 35,000)
> The above will GC less often but take slightly longer (20ms maybe
> depending on your speed).

Okay. That looks to be the 2nd profile :)

> But it will tenure much less often and consequently grow more slowly.
> This can often compensate for working sets that are accessed over longer
> periods of time (I would expect Seaside to show such behavior).

Thanks again, very valuable for the distros! And whatever feedback (like
for the <= 100 MB case), it can be put in the next distro for people's
choice :)

@Damien: can #initializeMemorySettings be put into the distros?

/Klaus