Backporting operation in Monticello

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Mon Jan 7 14:08:15 UTC 2008

Hi Alex,

I will give the general idea, since I don't remember the implementation.

The idea is to cherry pick changes. Suppose you are the main maintainer
of a package, and X is a contributor. Suppose makes two sets of
independent changes A and B, each in a separate version, where B has A
as an ancestor. Suppose that you only like A, then you simply merge A,
and ignore B. What happens if you only like the changes in B? if you
merge in B, you also get the changes in A. If you undo those manually,
you have imprecise history management that will take its revenge later.

In general, Backport creates a version that has only B, without A, and
allows you to merge it in. IIRC, it handles somewhat more general
situations, too.

Daniel