Handling keyboard input on unix when locale set to utf-8

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 12:20:01 UTC 2008

2008/1/17, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>:

> Hi,
>
> Well, we are three already,

I'm sure we are many more: there are also people from french spoken
countries in this list using linux and they won't feel very happy when they
upgrade their vm's and see that à or î can not be typed anymore. And if you
think of some of the countries where OLPC is been used as Brazil... how many
users will get annoyed?

so a chance that UTF-8 is finally ND
> completely adopted in Squeak is a bit bigger :) And I propose that a
> patch should be done (complete and well tested) regardless of adoption,
> which will come sooner or later.

right, but who does it?

Such patch will probably break some existing code, but because UTF-8
> solve a problem once for ever, I think the existing code should be
> adapted by its authors to UTF-8.

Andreas Raab did already it for the windows vm and the world is still going
round...

Regards.