[squeak-dev] Re: Maintenance of remote references

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sat Jul 19 05:00:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:10:05 +0200, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2008, at 21:06 , Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>
>> glad to hear that I'm not alone with this industrial crisis. The only
>> thing I
>> can think of is using sessions. So when a session is closed or expires
>> the
>> system notifies remote brokers telling the group of ids of objects to be
>> considered free for that session (and of course eventually claimed if
>> no other
>> session is referencing them). Maybe you want/need a more general
>> approach? If we
>> deny to give up to consistency I don't see lots of alternatives. I'm
>> starting to
>> wonder what happen in real world to solve this problematic pattern-
>> problem...
>> hhmmm...
>
> For what its worth, there was a paper with the title "Programming with
> Live Distributed Objects" published at this year's ECOOP. Not sure,
> though, if/how they solve the problem.

Thanks for the pointer! Unfortunately words like "reachable",
"unreachable", "circular", etc do not appear :( FWIW, it's more about
type-safe drag&drop for some OLE-ish development framework but in
javaneese, e.g. if(a type is B) etc :( But I will check the referred-to
papers as well. Thanks.

/Klaus