[squeak-dev] Renaming "Squeak"

Jeffrey Straszheim jstraszheim at comcast.net
Wed Mar 5 02:32:02 UTC 2008

The mouse is Cute!

Every time I launch Squeak the mouse makes me happy.  I'm doing serious
work with it, and I'm happy while I do so.

Smalltalk is a joy to program in, especially given that I spend my day
job working with that stupid coffee language.  Let us celebrate the joy.

Long Live Squeak!

> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 3:22 AM, K. K. Subramaniam <subbukk at gmail.com
> <mailto:subbukk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     If we are going to strip Squeak down and rebuild it, should we
>     consider
>     picking a new name for the project? The name Squeak has been
>     around for more
>     than a decade and has strong associations (good or bad) with
>     certain feature
>     sets and intended uses. A legally clear open source base is a good
>     time to
>     invent a new platform that can consolidate the lessons learnt from
>     the Squeak
>     project and build a new system for the next generation - just as
>     Squeak
>     emerged from Smalltalk-80.
>
>     Spoon? Hydra? Athena? Phoenix? Roar :-)?

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Jeffrey Straszheim
http://straszheim.50megs.com