[squeak-dev] Re: Swazoo - LGPL or MIT?

Bruce Badger bwbadger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 22:48:06 UTC 2008

On 26/03/2008, Sebastian Sastre <ssastre at seaswork.com> wrote:

>  Why initialize deprecated "inquisition software" in an open spirit community? Which reasons or real intentions could possibly motivate that? Why raise the voice to defend an hypotetical claim nobody is making?

The current issue is one of copyright infringement, not the relative
merit of various licenses.

Once the licensing of Swazoo is normalised, then we can start to have
discussions about any proposed change to the license.

>  Please lets discus things which allow us to have a better future for us and Squeak and let useless objects and messages to go away with the wind (hopefully GC'd).

The key aspect to this thread is: only the copyright holders can say
under what license their works may be copied.  Yet here we have a
situation where it is argued that a new license can be chosen if
enough people think is is a good idea, regardless of what the
copyright holder might think and without even including them in the
discussion.

My wish is to return Swazoo to a stable known state regarding licensing.

Once we are in that state again then we could start to discuss any
proposals to make Swazoo available under a different license.  But
such discussion must start from a know point and involve the copyright
holders.

Best regards,
    Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/