[squeak-dev] Re: A criticism of the Nile paper

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat May 17 22:35:21 UTC 2008

2008/5/18 Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca>:

> On 17-May-08, at 1:36 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:
>
> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Heh - I've long had nearly the opposite question: Why was support for
>> read-write streams ever needed? I can't recall *ever* using it in my own
>> code, nor encountering it in anyone else's.
>
> What about files?
>
> Good point. A lot of files are read-only or write-only, but not always.
> MC2's file repository both reads and writes on the same file stream. So I
> guess I have encountered it in someone else's code. :-)
> Still, I do think separate streams for reading and writing to the same file
> would be fine as an API.
> Colin

Want to second that. In most cases read and write operations (even
operating with same device) serving different purposes, and really can
be used apart without much increase in code complexity.

Unless you using another trait - a positionable stream, the write and
read streams can be easily decoupled.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.