Fwd: [squeak-dev] Graduation position (Smalltalk involved), Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

Mathieu van Echtelt mathieu at cosmocows.com
Fri Nov 28 14:09:54 UTC 2008

Hi Edgar,

No we did not loose faith. We think it is good to separate
execution/deployment mode from development mode. (isn't this the same
reason why we have virtual machines in the first place?). In execution
mode you have different requirements (e.g. scalability, speed,
supporting hosting providers) compared to being in development mode
(e.g. live debugging, instant feedback, reflection).

This graduation project is not about going away from Smalltalk or
going to java, python or whatever other technology with an identifying
name. It is about investigating separation, and we believe it is a
good approach to pick an execution platform which is especially
not-smalltalk to help us prove/investigate if our "business
descriptions" are indeed as implementation independent as we hope they
are.

Of one thing we are sure though: In many many many ways Smalltalk is
absolutely superior (even after all those years it is around!) but is not
the end, nor is Python, nor is Java.

greetings,
Mathieu van Echtelt

--