[squeak-dev] [Meta] Boolean#asBit discussion. What just happened here?

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 01:33:00 UTC 2009

On Sunday 06 December 2009 03:11:31 am Jerome Peace wrote:
> Why is that so?
Protocol? basic vocabulary?  A method name does set an expectation and people
build up a working vocabulary over time.  My early frustrations with Squeak
:-( were with statements like:

  Morph new name
  SmalltalkImage explain
  PolygonMorph new edit

asBit breaks the protocol of using asInteger to map an object to a number, so
it is not discoverable manually through Message Finder or automatically using
Method Finder.

> Does anything need to be done about it?
> What would help reduce the confusion/ignorance?
Yes. Message name finder could support wildcard searches (e.g. "open", "open*",
"*with*"). It could present results sorted by relevance (say, number of
senders + number of implementors) to encourage vocabulary.

Subbu