[squeak-dev] Squeak Accessibility

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 13:57:56 UTC 2009

Welcome to Squeak!

I don't see any intrinsic problems in making Squeak accessible. Squeak is a
multimedia authoring system. It has packages to generate sound and convert
text to sound. I guess nobody with visual difficulties has looked into the
possibilities so far. It should be possible to create a hot key to read out
text, mouse position.

Version 3.8 image contain a Speech-TTS package for converting text to speech.
You can open a workspace by pressing alt k and then type:

    Speaker child say: 'welcome to squeak'

and press alt-d to run this statement, you can hear a greeting in a child's
voice.

What would you like to see in Squeak?

Subbu