[squeak-dev] re: MicroSqueak

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 02:00:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

> Hi Eliot--
>
> > > How did [John Maloney] know which classes were necessary for [a] new
> > > [MicroSqueak] image?
> >
> > There is a hierarchy rooted at MObject, all of which becomes the new
> > classes in the new image.  The generator renames the classes so that
> > in the generated image MObject is called Object and so on for all
> > subclasses.
>
>     Right, but how did he know which classes should be in that hierarchy?
> I.e., how did he decide what was essential and what wasn't?

You should ask John, but the aim was to get a minimal Hello World so there
isn't a compiler for example.  But surely the answer is "whatever you need
to get what you want done", right?  So if the goal is a microkernel from
which one can bootstrap an image one needs a compiler, a file system
interface, and for sanity a minimal error-reporting framework right?