[squeak-dev] Re: Menu Registries

Brent Pinkney brent at zamail.co.za
Wed Apr 28 16:38:01 UTC 2010

> > 1. "an object is send a message and responds with an object"
> It is perfectly consistent with it.

On reading your blog, I think I can grog that: some interrogation message is sent to the class/method and it replies with the
pragma thing or similar.

> > 2. there is no other "magic" in the system.
>> Did you make that up? A wise man once said that any sufficiently
> advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I don't recall this
> ever being mentioned as a "fundamental principle" of Smalltalk.

This was not meant to be confrontational, sorry if it came across as such. By way of example, I think the general dislike for the
current compiled method format with its byte code trailer is evidence that we as a community do not like solutions that are
special and work with unseen code (magic) in the VM.

I am just trying to ensure that what we get is a breakthrough solution that can also motivated from our communities shared
aesthetics, which I tried to summarise as above.

If so, then cool.

Cheers

Brent