[squeak-dev] 4.2 next steps

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 20:16:09 UTC 2010

>> Where would you keep the code for preparing the release? In a different
>> class or completely outside the trunk?
>
> In Squeak 4.1's release process ReleaseBuilder was not used. It was an
> improvement of Squeak 4.1 that you can evaluate
>
> Smalltalk cleanUp: false
> or
> Smalltalk cleanUp
>
> to empty caches and free up some space and evaluate
>
> Smalltalk cleanUp: true
>
> to prepare the image for release. So the code is in the image, but there's
> no central place for such code.
>
> The ReleaseBuilder and ScriptLoader packages were only kept, because they
> may contain useful information to enhance the release process. We should
> review them, move the useful code to #cleanUp: methods, then get rid of
> these packages.

I agree with Bernhard, it seems appropriate for there to be a place
that can boostrap new Squeak versions from the prior ones..?

#cleanUp: is a separate issue from ReleaseBuilder isn't it?  There may
be other things to do besides "clean-up", so maybe ReleaseBuilder is a
good place for those kinds of things?  For example, update
SystemVersion from '4.1' to '4.2'.

 - Chris