[squeak-dev] Virtual System Window

Ronald Spengler ron.spengler at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 18:53:34 UTC 2010

I haven't had time to try it, but here's an approach I'd like to try.
If you beat me to it, I will buy you a beer!

Squeak on X11 is an X11 client application. Here's the hook: so is
your re-parenting window manager. Check out the sources for a minimal
re-parenting window manager like AEWM. Most of the C code can be
rewritten in Squeak. Since a window manager is just a client like any
other app in X11 land, it follows that we should be able to implement
one in Squeak. Then, Squeak can replace the window management role in
the X11 ecosystem, and you'll have firefox running in a SystemWindow,
along with any other X11 app that your heart desires.

It's a bit of work, though. Could be pretty powerful, all the same.

--
Ron