[squeak-dev] I'm running for the board

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Feb 18 05:01:29 UTC 2010

Hi Folks -

I'd like to officially throw my hat in the ring for the coming election.
And just like last year, I'll do that by trying to be clear where my
personal focus will be for the next year:

* Finalizing the SFC membership and the 4.0 release. Yes, we're *almost*
there and there's even a small chance we might get things done before
the election. But it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and we're not
done yet. Plus there will be several follow-up activities, including an
update to the election and/or membership process to discuss with the
community.

* More contributions. Even though I am happy with the contribution
process so far, I am not satisfied with the number of contributors. Over
the last year, I had hoped that some long-time contributors would start
contributing again, but that largely hasn't happened. We need to expand
the number of regular contributors if we want to be a feasible open
source project in the long term.

* Old projects adopting a new Squeak. Croquet/Cobalt is currently in the
process of being ported back on top of current Squeak trunk. I'd like to
see the same process started to get Etoys back. With an audience the
size of the XO deployment we have a very interesting user base to serve
and the combination of efforts can help both sides to progress faster.

To sum it up, at this point you can pretty much expect "more of the
same" from me. If you liked it last year, vote for me. If you didn't,
well, then don't :-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas