64 bit images (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-dtl.268.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jan 1 16:43:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 07:01:33AM -0200, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 12/31/09 9:11 PM, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > (FYI, I am trying to reconstruct some of historical SystemTracer
> > implementations
> > in order to put them into Monticello on SqueakSource, with the latest versions
> > being able to trace current images to 64 bit format thanks to recent work by
> > John McIntosh.)
> >
> > Dave
>
> Dave:
>
> I have interest in 64 bit images, as John knows.
> In particular in opening Dan old 64 bit image and in PPC VM running in Tiger
> (John don't do it AFAIK)
> Any to share ?

Hi Edgar,

You can run a 64-bit image on any machine, including 32-bit Intel. The
"64-bit" in the image is just the size of the words in the object memory.

The original 64-bit image that Dan and Ian created is this:
http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/Squeak64-3.8g-6548.image.tar.gz

but unfortunately this image can no longer be run on current Squeak VMs.
The reason is that some changes were made to the VM that broke backward
compatibility.

There is another version of the same image here:
http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/sq64-dtl.zip

This is the original image from Dan and Ian with some updates that I
did over the years. So anyone who wants to try running a 64-bit image
can do this:
 1) Build a VM for 64-bit images by selecting the "64-bit image" checkbox
    on the VMMaker tool.
 2) Use this VM to run the image http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/sq64-dtl.zip

The Squeak trunk image has not yet been converted to 64-bit image format,
but I believe that this probably can be done now. John McIntosh has
updated the SystemTracer to work properly with modern images, and he
and others report that they have successfully traced new Pharo images
into 64-bit mode. The notes for this are scattered around several
mailing lists, but I think that what needs to be done is this:

1) Fix a word size bug in CompiledMethod>>initialPC. I'll add the
fix to trunk some time soon, but am waiting for now to make sure we
don't implement differently from Pharo. Status of this issue is on
Mantis http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7430

2) Load the new SystemTracer with John's fixes. I'll try to get this
into a SqueakSource archive along with the earlier SystemTracer versions
so that everyone can access it more easily. In the mean time, you can
google for System-Tracing.2forPharo.cs to find John's latest update.

3) Trace the Squeak trunk image into 64-bit format.

The last step must be done with a big-endian machine (Intel will not
work), so maybe you will be able to help with that step in the process :)

Dave