[squeak-dev] "local" vs. "persistent" preferences

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Mar 11 10:11:17 UTC 2010

On 11.03.2010, at 06:52, Colin Putney wrote:

> On 2010-03-10, at 9:20 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I have an axe to grind with regards to preferences. In my use, having project-local preferences is completely pointless and consequently having the "local" option in the preference browser is pointless too.
>>
>> What I'd rather like to see are *persistent* preferences, i.e., preferences that are picked up automatically in all the images that I use.
>>
>> What do people think? Worth throwing out "local" preferences and instead use "persistent" ones?
>
> +1.
>
> One of the things I think Squeak is missing is the notion of shared resources. VW has the $VISUALWORKS directory where it looks for parcels and the like, and most other programming languages have directories where libraries and other resources are installed.
>
> The only thing that's currently shared between images in Squeak is the sources file. I think it would be good to have a user-specific, and possibly system-wide location where things that are shared between images could be stored. Off the top of my head:
>
> 	- the sources file
> 	- persisted preferences
> 	- MC cache repository
> 	- SM cache
>
> Colin

I don't think we need to throw out project-local preferences. Seems to be orthogonal to persistent preferences to me.

Persistent preferences are much needed. Here is how I imagine them to work from a user's perspective (had no time to work on it though):

http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-134

- Bert -