[squeak-dev] [ExperimentalCoreRelease] PharoCore-1.0-10508rc2 vs SL3dot11-9499-alpha

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sat Mar 13 02:21:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/12/10 2:25 PM, "Levente Uzonyi" <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>
>> I feel like
>> our hard work worth nothing to him.
> Not so. Not think such a thing
>
> You Smalltalk is amazing and I invite you friendly to be in the team .
> The answer was no.
> All hard workers have my gratitude.
> But the point is they have Core , good or bad, and we not.

We will have a Core release when 4.1 will be released. PharoCore is still
Beta. And I think we shouldn't try to compete with Pharo in the "who will
release a core image first" game, Pharo has ~1.5 years advantage.

> About Gofer , seems good, do not have final opinion as I do not use Pharo.
> Only tons of prays from fine Squeakers drive me to see what the Pharopatas
> have.

Gofer is a good tool, but we have Installer already in the image, and
they have overlapping features. We should make sure that Gofer can be
loaded into Squeak, but I don't think we should add it to the Trunk. IMHO
all packages which have active maintainers who are willing to cooperate
could be moved out of the Trunk.

Levente