[squeak-dev] [ANN] Croquet OpenGL on Squeaksource

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Mar 30 09:49:08 UTC 2010

On 30.03.2010, at 04:34, Ross Boylan wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 01:54 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> And at least it has a VM with a known build procedure.
>>
>> Huh?
> Croquet and Cobalt ship with binary VM, and the procedure used to
> generate the VM is undocumented and almost unknown.  By procedure I
> don't mean "run VMMaker", but what specific sources and tools were used
> to make the VM.
>
> Fairly recent discussion on the cobalt list indicated the build
> procedure was in flux.
>
> Thinking the problems I encountered might reflect some library mismatch,
> it seemed useful to be able to do the build myself.

It's a regular Squeak VM, nothing special. Try it.

There is a tendency to rename the Squeak VM when used for other projects, to make it "easier" for users. OTOH, that practice is creating more confusion for developers. OTTH, one would assume developers to know more than users, so the renamers and duplicaters insist they are right.

At least Linux developers have some sense and do not bundle the VM with the app. A single VM serves all. But then, Linux has built-in dependency management, a luxury that Mac OS and Windows do not have ...

- Bert -