[squeak-dev] Re: unsupported projects (was: DynamicBindings in 4.1)

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Sat May 15 00:53:59 UTC 2010

Metacello Configurations definitely simplify dependency management.  When it
works, it's awesome!  Where I am hitting the wall is managing compatibility
with different flavors of Squeak.  Let me recount my latest experience...

> I want to install ExternalWebBrowser.
> Oh good, there is a ConfigurationOf... in the SqS MetacelloRepository
> Let me make sure it works and then I'll add it to my ImageSetup script
> Results
>     Pharo 1.1 trunk update 11364: ExternalWebBrowserMacOS
> class>>isApplescriptAvailable references SMSqueakMap, which was removed
> from Pharo.  Ugh, okay, I'll manually install Applescript via Gofer and
> Monticello, then restart
>     Pharo 1.0: same problem
>     Squeak 4.1 trunk update 10145: MetacelloMCProjectSpec's instance
> variable 'className' is nil; when asSymbol is called on it, DNU asSymbol
>     Squeak 4.1 official release: same problem

So my question is - what platform does this config target?  It failed for
all the current Squeak and Pharo images!

As a user, I would like to either:
* have a specific place (depending on my platform) to find the correct
config
* or, even easier (and I suspect much less duplication, since many configs
may work with multiple platforms), a way to mark ConfigurationsOf as working
with particular platforms.  Then, you could at least issue a warning, like
SqMap, that 'the Config was not approved for this platform, do you want to
continue.'  If this info was built into the Metacello model, one might even
be able to query the MetacelloRepository for configs approved for the
current platform.

The way it is now, I think I spent more time above than manually resolving
the dependencies.
What are your experiences with this issue, if any?

Thanks.
Sean